ISIS killed 30-year-old Syrian activist and journalist Ruqia Hassan in September. To make it even more painful, the group hacked her Facebook account to trick her friends and colleagues into thinking she was still alive.
Hassan was executed after being accused of spying for the Free Syrian Army, a rebel group. Her death wasn’t confirmed until earlier this week, thanks to ISIS using her identity as a cover to gather information on other journalists. The news of her death was confirmed by her activist group on Twitter.
It’s believed to be the first time ISIS has killed a female journalist in Syria. Hassan wrote with the pen name Nisan Ibrahim, and was a young activist in Raqqa who fought to get the truth out about what was really happening in the city.
Her feelings towards the Islamic State were evident on her Facebook page. She even went as far as to joke about ISIS’s attempt to ban Wi-Fi hotspots by writing, “Go ahead and cut off the Internet, our messenger pigeons won’t complain.”
Her public posts stopped on July 21, but ISIS used her account to send messages as recently as last week.
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney General1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina Statehouse3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential Bid4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives Matter5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits Prison6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago Police8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings “Amazing Grace”9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for President10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton’s Emails11 of 11
ISIS Executed Syrian Journalist, Then Hacked Her Facebook To Gather Info From Colleagues was originally published on globalgrind.com