For many Americans, the election of Donald Trump to the presidency was not only a shock but a devastating blow.
President Barack Obama, who campaigned furiously for Trump’s opponent, Hillary Clinton, must have been disappointed as well, but in his remarks with Vice President Joe Biden the next day, he handled the news with cool aplomb.
As Obama repeatedly said on the campaign trail, much of his legacy depended on a Clinton victory. But when that didn’t happen, the president reportedly had some positive words of wisdom for his daughters, Sasha and Malia, the morning after, according recent to a profile in the New Yorker.
“Societies and cultures are really complicated. … This is not mathematics; this is biology and chemistry. These are living organisms, and it’s messy. And your job as a citizen and as a decent human being is to constantly affirm and lift up and fight for treating people with kindness and respect and understanding.
“And you should anticipate that at any given moment there’s going to be flare-ups of bigotry that you may have to confront, or may be inside you and you have to vanquish. And it doesn’t stop. … You don’t get into a fetal position about it. You don’t start worrying about apocalypse. You say, O.K., where are the places where I can push to keep it moving forward.”
Man, are we going to miss the level-headed optimism of Barack Obama.
- Watch Kanye West Explain Why He’s A Trump Supporter
- Baltimore City Teacher Fired For Racial Slur Towards Black Students
- Single Life! Watch Omarion’s Ex Apryl Jones Twerk For The Game
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 33
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 33
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 33
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 33
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 33
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 33
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 33
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 33
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 33
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 33
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 33
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 33
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 33
14. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 14 of 33
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 33
16. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 16 of 33
17. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 17 of 33
18. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 18 of 33
19. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 19 of 33
20. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 20 of 33
21. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 21 of 33
22. Reading TimeSource:Getty 22 of 33
23. Family SupportSource:Getty 23 of 33
24. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 33
25. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 25 of 33
26. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 26 of 33
27. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 27 of 33
28. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 28 of 33
29. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 29 of 33
30. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 30 of 33
31. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 31 of 33
32. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 32 of 33
33. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 33 of 33