For many Americans, the election of Donald Trump to the presidency was not only a shock but a devastating blow.
President Barack Obama, who campaigned furiously for Trump’s opponent, Hillary Clinton, must have been disappointed as well, but in his remarks with Vice President Joe Biden the next day, he handled the news with cool aplomb.
As Obama repeatedly said on the campaign trail, much of his legacy depended on a Clinton victory. But when that didn’t happen, the president reportedly had some positive words of wisdom for his daughters, Sasha and Malia, the morning after, according recent to a profile in the New Yorker.
“Societies and cultures are really complicated. … This is not mathematics; this is biology and chemistry. These are living organisms, and it’s messy. And your job as a citizen and as a decent human being is to constantly affirm and lift up and fight for treating people with kindness and respect and understanding.
“And you should anticipate that at any given moment there’s going to be flare-ups of bigotry that you may have to confront, or may be inside you and you have to vanquish. And it doesn’t stop. … You don’t get into a fetal position about it. You don’t start worrying about apocalypse. You say, O.K., where are the places where I can push to keep it moving forward.”
Man, are we going to miss the level-headed optimism of Barack Obama.
- Watch Kanye West Explain Why He’s A Trump Supporter
- Baltimore City Teacher Fired For Racial Slur Towards Black Students
- Single Life! Watch Omarion’s Ex Apryl Jones Twerk For The Game
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 32
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 32
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 32
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 32
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 32
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 32
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 32
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 32
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 32
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 32
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 32
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 32
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 32
14. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 14 of 32
15. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 15 of 32
16. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 16 of 32
17. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 17 of 32
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 32
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 32
20. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 20 of 32
21. Reading TimeSource:Getty 21 of 32
22. Family SupportSource:Getty 22 of 32
23. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 23 of 32
24. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 32
25. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 25 of 32
26. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 26 of 32
27. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 27 of 32
28. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 28 of 32
29. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 29 of 32
30. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 30 of 32
31. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 31 of 32
32. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 32 of 32