It’s not a secret that many of us are either depressed or in denial that the Obamas are leaving The White House soon. Think about it: What other First Family (past or future) has had or will ever have the swag, glamour and humor that President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama posses?
Not a one.
And a recent behind-the-scene video of POTUS getting down on the dance floor at BET’s Love and Happiness: A Musical Experience event, only proves our point. His song of choice? None other than Drake’s “Hotline Bling.”
(Just peep POTUS with Usher and Janelle Monáe poppin’ it after the party wrapped!)
As Hello Beautiful previously reported, Friday’s BET’s Love and Happiness: A Musical Experience event featured performances from Jill Scott, Common, The Roots, Bell Biv DeVoe, Busta Rhymes, Janelle Monae, De La Soul, Yolanda Adams, Michelle Williams and KiKi Sheard, along with appearances by Samuel L. Jackson, Jesse Williams and Angela Bassett.
And while POTUS has always welcomed contemporary artists such as Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar and Chance The Rapper to perform during his presidential tenure, during his opening remarks, he also gave nod to the performances by legendary musicians at The White House too.
“We’ve had Bob Dylan and we’ve had Jennifer Hudson. Gloria Estefan and Los Lobos. Aretha, Patti, Smokey,” Obama said. “I’ve had Paul McCartney singing ‘Michelle’ to Michelle and Stevie singing ‘Happy Birthday.’ ”
“We’ve had Buddy Guy and Mick Jagger getting me to sing ‘Sweet Home Chicago,’ ” he continued.
“So this has been one of our favorite traditions, and it’s with a little bit of bittersweetness that this is our final musical evening as president and first lady.”
POTUS also joked about the past musical history of the White House, recalling guests of President John F. Kennedy who did the “twist” in the East Room, People noted.
“[That] may not sound like a big deal to you, but that was sort of the twerking of their time,” Obama said. However “there will be no twerking tonight. At least not by me. I don’t know about Usher,” he quipped.
And before stepping down from the stage, Obama stressed that while the music performed during Friday’s taping “is rooted in the African-American experience, it’s not just black music. It’s an essential part of the American experience.”
“It’s a mirror to who we are, and a reminder of who we can be. That’s what American music’s all about,” he concluded.
Word. Thank you Obama.
BET will broadcast “Love and Happiness: A Musical Experience” on Nov. 15.
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
- Bowwow & Soulja Boy Collab On New Album [VIDEO]
- Angela Simmons Shares Even More Adorable Pictures Of Baby Sutton
- Watch: DJ Khaled Films His Son’s Birth On Snapchat [PHOTOS]
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 33
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 33
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 33
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 33
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 33
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 33
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 33
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 33
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 33
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 33
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 33
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 33
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 33
14. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 14 of 33
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 33
16. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 16 of 33
17. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 17 of 33
18. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 18 of 33
19. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 19 of 33
20. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 20 of 33
21. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 21 of 33
22. Reading TimeSource:Getty 22 of 33
23. Family SupportSource:Getty 23 of 33
24. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 33
25. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 25 of 33
26. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 26 of 33
27. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 27 of 33
28. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 28 of 33
29. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 29 of 33
30. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 30 of 33
31. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 31 of 33
32. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 32 of 33
33. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 33 of 33