Smith, who was previously homeless, was staying with his friend and her two granddaughters, ages 8 and 10. He was awakened from his sleep when he heard a loud noise in the middle of the night. He told reporters he believed someone was breaking in, but then he saw smoke.
After running into his friend’s room, he removed the sheet rock that fell on the 66-year-old and helped her out of the burning house. He then ran back in, woke up her grandchildren, and guided them outside as the fire continued to rage on. Firefighters told reporters no one was injured.
Smith says the real hero is his friend who opening her doors to him in his time of need.
Authorities believe the fire was electrical and may have started in the woman’s laundry room. She owned the home for about 40 years and lost nearly everything, including clothes, laptops, and family heirlooms.