Baltimore Judge Barry G. Williams on Wednesday ordered Officer William Porter to testify at the impending trial of another Baltimore police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray, reports The Baltimore Sun.
Jury selection in the trial of Caesar R. Goodson is set to begin on Monday, reports the site. The 16-year veteran on the force faces the most serious charge of all the officers: second-degree depraved-heart murder.
Porter was the first of six officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray to go to trial. While a mistrial was declared last month, the Sun notes that Porter “remains charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office. He is scheduled to be retried in June.”
From The Sun:
Williams said he found himself in “uncharted territory” as he granted Porter a type of immunity that allows his charges to stand but which precludes his testimony from being used against him. Attorneys and legal observers agreed that such a ruling against a co-defendant was a first in Maryland.
Porter’s defense attorney Gary Proctor had argued that forcing Porter to testify at the trial of Officer Caesar Goodson would violate his state and federal constitutional rights that protect defendants against self-incrimination, and that he could be subjected to perjury charges or become exposed in a federal investigation.
Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Michael Schatzow said Porter could not claim such protections once granted immunity.
All of the officers charged in Gray’s arrest and death have pleaded not guilty.
SOURCE: The Baltimore Sun | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Prince Throws Freddie Gray Benefit Concert In Baltimore
1. #Prince……’Cause you, I would die for you, yeahDarling if you want me toYou, I would die for you…Source:Instagram 1 of 10
2. #Prince……I never meant to cause you any sorrowI never meant to cause you any painI only wanted to one time to see you laughingI only wanted to see youLaughing in the purple rain…Source:Instagram 2 of 10
3. In case you missed the Concert last nightSource:Instagram 3 of 10
4. 11264530_625997724202599_1506657322_nSource:Instagram 4 of 10
5. #Prince #Rally4PeaceSource:Instagram 5 of 10
6. #Prince #Rally4PeaceSource:Instagram 6 of 10
7. #Prince #Rally4PeaceSource:Instagram 7 of 10
8. Had the opportunity to check another legend off the bucket list. #Prince #Rally4Peace #live #music #concert #3rdeyegirl #purplerain #encore #NOCURFEWSource:Instagram 8 of 10
9. #Prince #Rally4Peace #concert #live #music #baltimore #DougEFresh #legend #artistformelyknownasSource:Instagram 9 of 10
10. #Prince #Rally4Peace #music #concert #live #baltimore #NOCURFEWSource:Instagram 10 of 10
Freddie Gray Case: William Porter Ordered To Testify Against Second Cop was originally published on newsone.com