A 25-year-old man from Indianapolis was killed Saturday afternoon by an off-duty police officer in a predominantly white Chicago neighborhood. The young man was visiting the Windy City to attend his cousin’s funeral.
According to ABC 7, police say that Joshua Beal was in a car during a funeral procession that was stuck in traffic in front a local firehouse in Mount Greenwood. An off duty firefighter confronted the driver to tell them that they were illegally blocking the fire lane which prompted the cars’ driver and passengers to get out of the vehicle and began a verbal and physical altercation with the firefighter. Shortly after, an off-duty Chicago police officer, who was close by, came to “help” the firefighter.
As the altercation was unfolding, a different Chicago police officer—who happened to be a sergeant—claims he drove by the scene and stopped when he saw a man with a gun. After the man “failed to drop his weapon, shots were fired striking the individual multiple times”—the sergeant was the shooter, police said.
Paramedics took Beal to nearby hospital who was later pronounced dead at 3:44 p.m., the Chicago Tribune reported.
However, the Beals family tells a completely different story.
“Chicago police gunned my baby down like a viscous [sic] animal,” Tiffaney Boxley, Beal’s mother told ABC7. “They shot him twice in the back and three times in his front,” she added.
According to Beals’ sister Cordney Boxley, while they were on their way to church to bury their cousin, her sister was cut off and almost driven off the road. Immediately after, she said her family and the motorist who had cut her off — who she thought was a Chicago police officer — all stopped and got out of their cars.
Boxley says the man pushed her female cousin to the ground and pulled a gun on her, which prompted other family members to confront the man. It’s unclear if the man identified himself as an officer.
She added that the man got inside his car and got out again and “just started shooting,’’ hitting the windshield of a car containing Beal, who had pulled his gun when he saw the man holding a gun on their cousin The Tribune noted. According to Boxley, Beal legally owned the gun and did not fire it. Police told the Trib they were “unsure” if Beal shoot his firearm.
Beal, who was a father to two children and had a fiancée, was supposed to be Beal, a pallbearer at his cousin’s funeral.
“This is what CPD do. They tear our families apart over and over again. They have no consideration for life,” Boxley said.
When news hit of the fatal shooting, #JoshuaBeal began trending on Twitter:
The Independent Police Review Authority is currently investigating the incident.
- Nene Leakes Blasts Fan, “B*tch, I’ll Climb Up On This Balcony”
- Beyonce’, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Unite For #MannequinChallenge
- Lil Wayne’s Daughter Reginae Slams T.I. For Putting Her Dad On Blast
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 33
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 33
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 33
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 33
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 33
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 33
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 33
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 33
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 33
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 33
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 33
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 33
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 33
14. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 14 of 33
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 33
16. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 16 of 33
17. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 17 of 33
18. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 18 of 33
19. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 19 of 33
20. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 20 of 33
21. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 21 of 33
22. Reading TimeSource:Getty 22 of 33
23. Family SupportSource:Getty 23 of 33
24. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 33
25. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 25 of 33
26. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 26 of 33
27. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 27 of 33
28. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 28 of 33
29. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 29 of 33
30. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 30 of 33
31. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 31 of 33
32. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 32 of 33
33. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 33 of 33