Shonda Rhimes is one of the most successful Black women in TV history but for the past several years, she’s also been struggling with her weight. Well, if you’ve seen her recently, then you know that struggle has been in the words of, Olivia Pope, the character she created, “handled.”
Rhimes says she lost 117 pounds over the last year the old-fashioned way – through diet and exercise. She told Extra that her main motivation was her children. Rhimes has two adopted daughters and had another one via gestational surrogate.
Still, Rhimes says she hates both dieting and exercise. But obviously, she likes both looking and feeling good.
Watch the interview below:
Shondaland Stars Describe What Rhimes Is REALLY Like After Controversial NYT Profile
1 of 15
1. ABC Stars Heart Shonda
Stars that have worked with Shonda Rhimes might call the primetime TV powerhouse a lot of things, but “angry” is not one of them. Shonda’s about to own your Thursday night, and to celebrate the kick off of TGIT, ABC threw a huge Hollywood on Saturday.
2 of 15
2. Shonda Is…
While taking in the festivities 30 people that have worked with Shonda summed her up To The Hollywood Reporter in lots of complimentary terms, and we’ve highlighted what the stars had to say about their fearless leader. Flip ahead to see who said what about Shonda!
3 of 15
3. Kerry Washington, "Scandal"
Brilliant, compassionate, courageous
4 of 15
4. Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy"
Writer, shy, decisive
5 of 15
5. Viola Davis, "How to Get Away With Murder"
Innovative, courageous, visionary
6 of 15
6. Joe Morton, "Scandal"
Very talented genius
7 of 15
7. Portia de Rossi, "Scandal"
Elegant, brilliant, kind
8 of 15
8. Sara Ramirez, "Grey's Anatomy"
Ambitious, leader, brilliant
9 of 15
9. Kevin McKidd, "Grey's Anatomy"
Inspirational, intuitive, deeply passionate
10 of 15
10. Matt McGorry, "How to Get Away With Murder"
Visionary, powerful, trailblazing
11 of 15
11. Bellamy Young, "Grey's Anatomy," "Private Practice", "Scandal"
Bellamy Young, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Scandal
12 of 15
12. Aja Naomi King, "How to Get Away With Murder"
Brilliant, capable, career woman
13 of 15
13. Alfred Enoch, "How to Get Away With Murder"
Supportive, welcoming, nourishing
14 of 15
14. Scott Foley, "Grey's Anatomy," "Scandal"
Creative, sexy gal
15 of 15
15. Guillermo Diaz, "Scandal"
Poised, compassionate, loving