Did you know that there are more Black men on parol, probation or in the prison system than enslaved Blacks in 1850?
What attributes to our high rates of incarceration? What about the system continues to put African-Americans at a such a disadvantage in the eyes of the law?
In their new “Truth Series” series documentary “Charged: The DA vs. Black America,” BET explores the role that district attorneys across the country play in the mass incarceration epidemic and the harsh and disproportionate sentencing of African-American men.
Director Shoshana Guy recently told The Grio that she hopes that her new film will wake folks up to the true power that DA’s have.
“DAs are elected officials, and the public has the power to hold them accountable,” Guy said.
“As a journalist, I have always been interested in criminal justice and have reported on the subject a lot over the years. Mass incarceration as it relates to the African-American community is a very complex subject that can end up feeling unwieldy, and so I was looking for a kind of singular lens through which I could try and put some context to how we got here,” she added.
Working on the film and interviewing everyday African-Americans, Gay was shocked to see how little people knew about the impact DA’s have on communities of color.
“I was surprised to learn just how much power DAs wield and how disengaged much of the public is from these decision makers,” Guy admitted.
“And even after more than a decade of being in the field, it still shocks me to bear witness to the depth of the destruction that mass incarceration has had on the black community,” she concluded.
Take a look at the trailer below:
Charged: The DA vs. Black America airs Monday, Nov. 7 at 9 p.m. EST on BET.
- Solange, Jay Z Reunite In An Elevator & It Was Captured On Camera
- Beyonce’, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Unite For #MannequinChallenge
- Lil Wayne’s Daughter Reginae Slams T.I. For Putting Her Dad On Blast
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 33
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 33
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 33
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 33
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 33
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 33
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 33
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 33
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 33
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 33
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 33
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 33
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 33
14. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 14 of 33
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 33
16. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 16 of 33
17. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 17 of 33
18. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 18 of 33
19. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 19 of 33
20. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 20 of 33
21. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 21 of 33
22. Reading TimeSource:Getty 22 of 33
23. Family SupportSource:Getty 23 of 33
24. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 33
25. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 25 of 33
26. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 26 of 33
27. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 27 of 33
28. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 28 of 33
29. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 29 of 33
30. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 30 of 33
31. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 31 of 33
32. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 32 of 33
33. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 33 of 33