Though many of us overlook breast cancer because it may not be a disease we’ve personally struggled with, chances are we all know someone who has.
Here are a few staggering facts, provided by NationalBreastCancer.org:
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- It is estimated that over 220,000 women in America will be diagnosed with breast cancer each year, of which 40,000 will die (For men, those numbers drop to 2,150 and 410, respectively).
This month, and every October since 1985 when National Breast Cancer Awareness Month started, the world bands together to enlighten the unenlightened about the disease and how we can all do our part to help. Throughout October, companies like Lokai and ULTA Beauty raise money for breast cancer research and inspire others to follow in their footsteps.
And though everyone isn’t in the position to donate millions of dollars, some of our favorite celebrities support by buying trinkets, bracelets, and clothing from businesses that promise some portion of their proceeds to #NBCAM.
Breast cancer knows no prejudice – many of the stars we see in the media every day have been personally affected by the disease. Angelina Jolie, for example, underwent a double mastectomy in May 2013 after discovering she carries a genetic mutation that left her with an 87 percent chance of developing breast cancer.
It’s an ugly reality, but it’s one we’ve got to face if we have any chance of beating it. Below we’ve provided a list of charities that are dedicated to fighting breast cancer year-round, as well as a gallery of 26 photos of celebrities supporting this month. Do it in your own way, but support – hundreds of thousands of Americans, and many more worldwide, are counting on it.
- Partner with NBCF.
- Donate and fundraise with the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Support The Rose, a Houston-based facility providing quality breast health care.
- Get in touch with Living Beyond Breast Cancer, a company dedicated to servicing those who’ve been affected by the disease.
Wendy Williams’ Family Gives Detailed Account Of Her “Heartbreaking” Downward Spiral
Bravo Fans React To Porsha Williams Filing For Divorce From Simon Guobadia After 15 Months Of Marriage
Larsa Pippen And Marcus Jordan Reportedly Break Up, X Reacts
Iggy Azalea Sex Tape Leaked [VIDEO]
Solange Knowles’ Son Daniel “Julez” Smith, Jr. Walks For Versace During Milan Fashion Week
Angry White Conservatives Just Can’t Accept The Black National Anthem Being Sung At The Super Bowl
Switcheroo Boo Rachel Dolezal AKA Nkechi Diallo In Hot Water After OnlyFans Page News Goes Public
Win A Family Four-Pack of Tickets to The CIAA Step Shows!