Life events like the loss of a marriage, relationship or career can force you to start over again in a life that is a lot different than the one you’re used to. You may want to start over again to get out of a bad situation and improve your life and relationships. It’s possible to start over again successfully and have the life you want. Just remember to not let it get you down!
1. Make a commitment to change and to step outside your comfort zone. You may be staying in a rut (like a job that you hate or a toxic relationship or even a mindset) simply because it is comfortable. Decide once and for all to start over and move on, then do it.
2. Give yourself some time to mourn the loss of your old life. If you’ve lost a spouse or a long career, this will be a long painful process. Even if you’re losing something that you haven’t been happy about or that has been bad for you, you’ll still need time to get over it. Don’t jump too quickly into a “rebound” relationship or job that you’ll be unhappy with later.
3. Let people know about your status. If you’re looking for a job or would like to meet someone for a new relationship, they’ll keep you in mind when they get leads.
4. Figure out what you want to do next. Imagine what you’d change and what you’d do if you could live your life over again. Think about things that you’ve always wanted to do.
5. Create a plan for how to get where you want to be. Map out specific steps to take each day.
6. Analyze what went wrong in the past and figure out how to change it. Learn the skills you need to have a satisfying job or relationship. Seek counseling or therapy for help in learning new skills.
7. Join social groups to meet new people and contacts. Try new hobbies, especially ones that you can do with a group. If you’re looking for a new relationship, look for hobbies and groups that appeal to both sexes