The Savannah State Tigers cheerleading squad won first place at CheerSport Nationals this weekend, marking the first time an HBCU squad has ever won.
One of the young women on the all-Black squad says her team didn’t know they were making history during the Atlanta competition, saying in a tweet they “were just having fun, working hard and making memories.” It took them just four years to make it to the top as Bossip reports the Savannah State Tigers cheerleading squad made their CheerSport debut in 2013, at which point they finished eighth in their division. What a comeback!
Congrats to Savannah State and happy Black History Month!
2017 SAG Awards: Black Girl Magic Was In Full Force On The Red Carpet
1. Octavia Spencer was all smiles in her classic black ensemble.Source:Getty 1 of 9
2. Can Kerry Washington be any more stunning?Source:Getty 2 of 9
3. Taraji P. Henson was the star of the show.Source:Getty 3 of 9
4. Janelle Monae ditched her usual black and white suit for glam.Source:Getty 4 of 9
5. Tracee Ellis Ross kept it simple and elegant.Source:Getty 5 of 9
6. Viola Davis showed off her toned arms in this gorgeous number.Source:Getty 6 of 9
7. OITNB stars Samira Wiley and Jackie Cruz glowed while walking the carpet.Source:Getty 7 of 9
8. Denzel and Pauletta Washington brought black love to the SAGs.Source:Getty 8 of 9
9. Danielle Brooks had one of the best looks of the night.Source:Getty 9 of 9
The Ladies Of Savannah State Just Made Cheerleading History was originally published on www.globalgrind.com