According to DNA Info Chicago, Black Lives Matter activists went to the scene of where 25-year-old Joshua Beal was fatally shot on Saturday afternoon in the predominantly white Mount Greenwood neighborhood. However, when they arrived, they were confronted by a group of whites holding a “Blue Lives Matter” flag and yelling at them to “get out.”
But, Black Lives Matter activist Kofi Ademola told DNA Info that they were only there to ensure that the Beal family was safe—nothing more.
“There was no protest [on our end],” he said. “We were there to check on the family to make sure they were safe. Next thing we knew, we were surrounded by a bunch of angry white people. Nobody said anything to them.”
Video posted online by BLM Chicago members shows a white man approach them and say “If you don’t support the police, you’re criminal.” Others yelled for them to get out of their neighborhood—some even screamed racial epitaphs and threatened violence.
“A young white guy [walked] up with a baseball bat. The police took the baseball bat from him,” Ademola recalled.
“White people are driving by and yelling at us, ‘[N–gers] go home! Get the [f–k] out of here! Blue Lives Matter.’ More of them got out of the car and chanted ‘CPD! Blue Lives Matter,’” he added.
As Hello Beautiful previously reported, Beal, who was in town from Indianapolis to be a pallbearer at his cousin’s funeral, was shot to death on Saturday afternoon. While police say Beal was shot because he didn’t drop his gun when asked, his family has a different version of events.
According to Beals’ sister Cordney Boxley, a driver, who she thought was a Chicago police officer, tried to run one her family members off the road. That sparked a confrontation between the family and the driver. Boxley says Beal only pulled out his gun after the man threw Beal’s 17-year-old female cousin to the ground and held a gun on her. Then, she says, the man just starting shooting—striking her brother with one his bullets.
The father of two later died at a local hospital on Saturday afternoon.
“Chicago police gunned my baby down like a viscous [sic] animal,” Tiffaney Boxley, Beal’s mother told ABC7.
“They shot him twice in the back and three times in his front,” she added.
Currently, the Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the incident and the officers involved will be placed on administrative duties for 30 days.
- Solange, Jay Z Reunite In An Elevator & It Was Captured On Camera
- Beyonce’, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Unite For #MannequinChallenge
- Lil Wayne’s Daughter Reginae Slams T.I. For Putting Her Dad On Blast
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
34 Photos That Will Make You Miss The Obama Family Already
1. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 1 of 33
2. Two TermsSource:Getty 2 of 33
3. Family PortraitSource:Instagram 3 of 33
4. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 4 of 33
5. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 5 of 33
6. Daddy’s GirlSource:Instagram 6 of 33
7. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 7 of 33
8. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 8 of 33
9. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 9 of 33
10. A Family AffairSource:Getty 10 of 33
11. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Getty 11 of 33
12. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 12 of 33
13. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 13 of 33
14. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 14 of 33
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 33
16. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza/The White House 16 of 33
17. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 17 of 33
18. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 18 of 33
19. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 19 of 33
20. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 20 of 33
21. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 21 of 33
22. Reading TimeSource:Getty 22 of 33
23. Family SupportSource:Getty 23 of 33
24. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza/The White House 24 of 33
25. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza/The White House 25 of 33
26. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 26 of 33
27. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 27 of 33
28. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 28 of 33
29. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 29 of 33
30. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 30 of 33
31. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 31 of 33
32. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 32 of 33
33. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Getty 33 of 33