Kick Off Black History Month with African American History Day at the Detroit Historical Museum on Saturday, Feb. 6
DETROIT– Join us to celebrate African American history and culture at our annual African American History Day event on Saturday, February 6, 2016 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. This event is FREE and great for all ages.
Longtime event favorites, the Peace Baptist Church Quilters will offer make and take crafts, readings, games and giveaways while All in One Art, LLC provides free Spin Art throughout the day. Find a variety of gifts or pamper yourself with items from our Artists Market throughout the museum, learn from many of the historical organizations in the area and bring the kids to enjoy presentations and activities all day long.
Special performances will include:
- Caricature artist from noon– 3 p.m.
- Renowned storyteller Ivory D. Williams at noon.
- Detroit Association of Black Storytellers presenters in costume portraying significant African Americans in Detroit’s history from 1– 3 p.m.
- The youth of the Alnur African Drum and Dance group will celebrate with traditional dance, poetry, song and rhythm at 1 p.m.
- April Shipp will present the Living History of Savannah Magee, an enslaved African American, at 3 p.m.
Refreshments will be available for purchase throughout the event.
The Detroit Historical Museum, located at 5401 Woodward Ave. (NW corner of Kirby) in Midtown Detroit, is open to the public Tuesday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free for all, all the time. Parking in the Museum’s lot is $7 at all times. Group tour pricing and information is available by calling 313.833.7979. Permanent exhibits include the famous Streets of Old Detroit, the Allesee Gallery of Culture, Kid Rock Music Lab, Doorway to Freedom: Detroit and the Underground Railroad, Detroit: The “Arsenal of Democracy,” the Gallery of Innovation, Frontiers to Factories, America’s Motor City, and The Glancy Trains. For more information, call the Museum at 313.833.1805 or check out our website at detroithistorical.org.