Sure Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for all of your life’s blessings and being grateful, however a large part of the holiday revolves around the delicious feast prepared by loving hands for family and friends to enjoy until they’re too stuffed to move. Many local churches across the country regularly participate in serving a Thanksgiving meal to members of the congregation or families in need of a hot meal. The last thing you would expect is that said meal from church would literally kill you from eating it, but that is just what happened in Antioch, California.
At press time three people are dead and an additional five are currently hospitalized with severe food poisoning after eating a Thanksgiving meal prepared by a local church in Contra Costa county in Antioch. What was supposed to be a memorable Thanksgiving dinner has turned into a tragedy. The Grio has all the details surrounding this sad, bizarre case, including the response of local health officials.
Via The Grio:
Health officials in California are working to determine if a Thanksgiving meal served by a church has caused three deaths and sickened five other people. The American Legion Hall in Antioch served the meal, which was hosted by Golden Hills Community Church and was meant to give a Thanksgiving meal to seniors and homeless people and others who would be alone during the holidays, according to Contra Costa Public Health officials.
“We recently were informed that several people from the same care facility in Antioch, who were at our Antioch Thanksgiving Dinner, became sick,” the church said in a statement. “We are fully cooperating with health officials and are praying fervently for the families who lost loved ones and for others who are sick.”
Of the 835 people who attended the event, three have died, while five were hospitalized. Four of those hospitalized were released, while one remains. Health officials say that there is no risk to the general public; however, it is not clear whether it was the meal itself that caused the sickness, because all of those who fell ill live in the same facility. Officials are currently investigating to find out what caused the illnesses.
As admirable a gesture as it is, you have to be very careful when eating the cooking of others (including dining out.) At press time there is no suggestion of foul play and hopefully this was an isolated incident and not done to purposely harm innocent people.
- Watch DMX Wild Out On Stage About Penis
- Ex-Friend Threatens To Expose Gucci Mane’s Alleged Gay Secrets
- Watch Cam’ron Prove That He’s Still Not A Fan Of Jay Z [VIDEO]
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @92qjamsbmore
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Chef Curry: Every Time Ayesha Curry Was The Ultimate IG Foodie
1. @_raiiney helping me put the sausage veggie medley into the processor earlier today for the @tylerflorence stuffing/spatchcock turkey! #success …Source:Instagram 1 of 16
2. Orange Glazed Chicken Wings… First test. #hometestkitchen #theseasonedlifeSource:Instagram 2 of 16
3. Jerk turkey w mashed nutmeg squash. Sweet and savory! #theseasonedlife … (Side note: the portions are small because they’re tasting plates, eating all day LOL) 🐷💛💛💛Source:Instagram 3 of 16
4. Done! Black pepper beef and broccoli, curry fried rice, honey shrimp and chicken lettuce wraps…. #homemade #theseasonedlife no takeout, takeout.Source:Instagram 4 of 16
5. Made these insane porterhouse steaks with shallot and garlic. #theseasonedlifeSource:Instagram 5 of 16
6. Celebrating the oscars and my first go round as a judge on #grocerygames by using my Parmesan wheel @wholefoods gifted me!!! Pasta Carbonara w scratch made pasta!!!! (Tune in at 8pm west coast!!! On @foodnetwork )Source:Instagram 6 of 16
7. Dinner is in full effect… Seafood pasta on its way.Source:Instagram 7 of 16
8. Done! 😋😋😋Source:Instagram 8 of 16
9. Perfectly southern with a little Cali flare!!! Topped my porchetta biscuit sandwich with a fried egg, red pepper jam, crystal hot sauce mayo and a drizzle of honey! AhhhhhhhhhhhSource:Instagram 9 of 16
10. Successful test day! They’re sweet, Super sticky and tender. Thanks for tasting @princessmom2363 !!! 😊😊😍Source:Instagram 10 of 16
11. #theseasonedlife sweet chili shrimp with jicama, Serrano and a whole lot of love. Quick 10 minute dish. No #iceberg or #butterlettuce at the grocery store! What great travesty. 😂😂🤓Source:Instagram 11 of 16
12. Before the roasting began! @amandahaascooks thank you so much for making our Christmas wishes come true alongside @williamssonoma #primeribSource:Instagram 12 of 16
13. My pea soup with Kerrygold herb butter seared scallops!!!! #christmas2015 #theseasonedlifeSource:Instagram 13 of 16
14. My Lobster Salad w Spicy Serrano Avocado dressing! #FTW I think this one will more than pass for the cookbook! Sooo much flavor! In a salad at that!Source:Instagram 14 of 16
15. Pillows of warm toasty mallow, pecans and brown sugar. Sweet potato casserole. #classicSource:Instagram 15 of 16
16. Banana bread … Again! 🍌🍌🍌Source:Instagram 16 of 16