18 Black Men & Youths Who Were Killed By Police
1. Jonathan Ferrell, 24Source:Instagram 1 of 17
2. Michael Brown Jr, 18Source:Instagram 2 of 17
3. Philando Castile, 32Source:Instagram 3 of 17
4. Tamir Rice, 12Source:Instagram 4 of 17
5. Darrien Hunt, 22Source:Instagram 5 of 17
6. Alton Sterling, 37Source:Instagram 6 of 17
7. Kajieme Powell, 25Source:Instagram 7 of 17
8. Trayvon Martin, 17Source:Getty Images 8 of 17
9. Jason Harrison, 39Source:Instagram 9 of 17
10. Ezell Ford, 25Source:Mark Boster/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images 10 of 17
11. Eric Garner, 43Source:Instagram 11 of 17
12. Dontre Hamilton, 31Source:Instagram 12 of 17
13. Victor White III, 22Source:Instagram 13 of 17
14. Dante Parker, 36Source:Getty Images 14 of 17
15. Jack Jacquez, 2715 of 17
16. Omar Abrego, 3716 of 17
17. Akai Gurley, 28Source:Getty Images 17 of 17
James Means, a Black West Virginian teen, was shot and killed Monday by William Ronald Pulliam, and if that was not disturbing enough, when Pulliam was arrested for the crime on Tuesday he told police, “The way I look at it, that’s another piece of trash off the street.”
15 year old #jamesmeans was killed this week by a 62 year old white man outside of a dollar store in West Virginia. The man's motivation? The boy had bumped into him. After the shooting the man called him a "piece of trash." Everyone whose arguing that we need to tone down identity politics talk needs to take note. Boys like this need to be protected and loved, especially in the coming 4 years #blacklivesmatter #proudsjw
According to witnesses, Pulliam shot Means twice in the abdomen and left him to die after the young boy bumped into Pulliam as he walked into the Dollar Store. Following the hateful crime, Pulliam reportedly went home, ate dinner, and even visited with friends prior to his arrest.
Pulliam told local WSBT, “I don’t like it. I mean believe me, I did not want to kill anybody, but they’re not going to kill me,” adding that he felt his life was in danger. He claims to have seen Means and a group of his friends looking at the 62-year-old white man, and laughing. He also said that Means flashed a gun. The situation seemed to end, but resumed when Pulliam left the store, which is when Means allegedly came over and taunted Pulliam with the gun.
Pulliam shot Means with a gun that he was not supposed to have because of a previous domestic violence conviction.
While police said Pulliam admitted to the crime, and made the “trash” comment, Pulliam denied that to the press. Still, Pulliam has been charged with first degree murder, and instead of celebrating the Holiday season, the Means family is mourning the loss of a teenage boy.
Since Donald Trump‘s victory, hate crimes have spiked across the country. It is up to the American people that tragic incidents like this do not become the new normal.