It’s the picture perfect ending to a historic run. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama grace the cover Essence Magazine’s October issue and it’s the stuff Black fairy tales are made of.
Michelle’s hand lay softly on Obama’s chest while he cradles the bend of her back. They’re happily smiling, happily in love. In an exclusive interview with the mag, the first couple where they reflect on their legacy.
“For me, things like My Brother’s Keeper…that’s something I’m confident we’ll be continuing after we leave…” President Obama revealed.
For Michelle, it was inspiring Black youth with she and Obama’s presence in the White House.
“I think when it comes to Black kids, it means something for them to have spent most of their life seeing the family in the White House look like them. It matters…”
The always fashionable FLOTUS also covers Essence’s sister publication InStyle, where she discusses her style, influence and the importance of motivation our little Black girls.
“Girls are going to move our country and our world to a place where there’s more peace, more prosperity, more possibility, because women raise the next generations again and again and again.”
And because Michelle is a woman of her word, InStyle collaborated with fashion notables to release a limited-edition designer tote bags to benefit the Peace Corps Let Girls Learn Fund in conjunction of the October issue. The collection will be available October 13 on Shop.InStyle.com.
“Both Essence and InStyle recognize the resounding influence that the First Couple has had on so many facets of our society. We are delighted that President and Mrs. Obama chose these two powerhouse brands to share their passions and engage with a diverse combined audience of nearly 50 million,” Alan Murray, Chief Content Officer, Time Inc. said in a press release.
Barack and Michelle’s story in the White House is coming to an end, but they’ll always be a staple in our hearts.
- Erica Mena Shades Bow Wow In The Most Clever Way Ever, Bow Wow Claps Back
- Yooo Kevin Hart Just Aired Out Meek Mill [Video]
- Taraji P. Henson Checks 50 Cent Over Vivica A. Fox And ‘Empire’ Comments
Want news at your fingertips? Text “QCREW” to 24042 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
FLOTUS Then & Now: Michelle Obama Looks Better Than Ever!
1. Michelle Obama in 2008Source:Yoon S. Byun/The Boston Globe via Getty Images 1 of 20
2. Michelle Obama in 2008Source:Jeff Haynes/Getty Images 2 of 20
3. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Ron Sachs-Pool via Getty Images 3 of 20
4. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Dan Kitwood/Getty Images 4 of 20
5. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Universal History Archive/UIG via Getty Images 5 of 20
6. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 6 of 20
7. Michelle Obama in 2009Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 7 of 20
8. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 8 of 20
9. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 9 of 20
10. Michelle Obama in 2010Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 10 of 20
11. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:Joshua Roberts-Pool/Getty Images 11 of 20
12. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:Stephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 12 of 20
13. Michelle Obama in 2011Source:tephen J. Boitano/LightRocket via Getty Images 13 of 20
14. Michelle Obama in 2013Source:JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images 14 of 20
15. Michelle Obama in 2014Source:Alex Wong/Getty Images 15 of 20
16. Michelle Obama in 2014Source:Paul Morigi/WireImage 16 of 20
17. Michelle Obama in 2015Source:Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Glamour 17 of 20
18. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Tim Rooke - Pool /Getty Images 18 of 20
19. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images 19 of 20
20. Michelle Obama in 2016Source:Alex Wong/Getty Images 20 of 20